When Your Insurance Doesn’t Fully Cover Damages


You must know what to do when your insurance doesn’t fully cover damages and what steps to take. Insurance does more than protect you against liabilities. It also offers you protection from costly damages. There’s nothing worse than having this peace of mind shattered when you learn that your policy doesn’t adequately cover damages after an incident — especially if the incident is an unpredictable catastrophe such as a flood. Unfortunately, this is the reality that homeowners and businesses often face.

Your Insurance Doesn’t Fully Cover Damages: Now What?

Check out what you can do if your insurance doesn’t offer enough coverage.

Find Out What Your Coverage Includes

Does homeowners insurance cover flood damage? Many homeowners assume the answer is yes, but this isn’t always true. On the contrary, most homeowners insurance policies do not include flood coverage. It is concerning, given that nearly 200 people die due to floods every year in the U.S. Before you cancel your coverage, you should look at what your policy covers. Thoroughly review its terms and identify any risks that may be left exposed.

Assess Your Risk for Additional Damage

Once you’ve identified gaps in your current coverage, you should assess whether these gaps apply to you. Property and casualty insurance may not cover floods, so you must determine whether you are in a flood zone. Optimizing your flood insurance coverage is about identifying the risks to which your home or business is the most vulnerable. If you have a history of flash flooding in your area or live near a coast where hurricanes may occur, you must assess your overall risk for property damage caused by flooding.

Invest in Protection Against Liabilities

Even if you assess your risks, it’s often difficult to anticipate the events that cause property damage. Furthermore, just because your risk is low doesn’t mean such an event cannot occur. Investing in a policy that offers a broad range of coverage is the best way to protect against many liabilities. An umbrella insurance policy, for example, is ideal for clients who want to protect their home or business from any liability not covered in their existing policy.

Talk to a Licensed Insurance Agent

Finding the right combination of coverage can be tricky, so it’s a great idea to connect with a licensed insurance agent when you’re looking for a new policy. It is especially true if you seek coverage against a liability such as flooding that your primary insurance does not cover. You need to ensure that you have full coverage from damages, and an insurance agent can help you avoid paying for damages out of pocket.  

About The Hilb Group 

Deciding what coverage you need and what limits and deductibles make the most sense can be tricky. Founded in 2009, the Hilb Group has been helping clients to make sense of their options and make the smartest choices for their circumstances. Whether you need Warehouse Insurance or any other type of business or personal coverage, we encourage you to contact our friendly, experienced, and capable team today. Call us at (800) 776-3078 for a consultation.